Tuesday, August 18, 2009

chocolate, good.....bacon, good

I have to admit, the thought of chocolate covered bacon at first grossed me out. Sure, who doesn't love these things seperately, but together?

But lately it seems this has been all the rage. I've seen chocolate covered bacon the center of discussion on various internet forums, websites and finaly on Food Network itself. Well that was the last straw and I had to try it for myself

I looked around online to find out the best kind of bacon to use, and which kind of chocolate would work best with it. Dark, milk, semi sweet, white, there are so many kinds. Most of the recipes I encountered online were using semisweet, so that's what I bought, and some nice thick cut bacon

After the bacon was fried up very crispy, and the chocolate was melted, the two met. There was some resistance at first but they soon became quick friends. After they were all dipped and stowed in the fridge I waited for my husband to come home before trying it. When he saw it, the look on his face was...well he looked like he was thinking that I ruined some perfectly good bacon and chocolate.

But....after tasting it....WOW. How did nobody think of this sooner? The crispy salty smokey flavor of the bacon and the chocolate were made for each other. It was nothing short of fantastic!

A few things I would do differently next time though. One, the bacon I got was very lean which after it was cooked made it more like ham than bacon. Next time I think a slightly more fatty bacon. Two, next time I'll try for a slightly thinner coat of chocolate. There were some pieces where the chocolate dominated the bacon, and I think this work best if there was an equal ratio of chocolate to bacon

I don't think I'll be making this again sometime soon, only because of the incredibly unhealthy nature of it. Maybe if I have some people over. But overall it was great!

3 comments:

Fuzzy Izmit said...

I know! Isnt it awesome!

Lynn from For Love or Funny said...

My mouth is watering...

Justine said...

I have never heard of that in my whole life. I can see the draw though. I love bacon and I love chocolate. I'll have to look into this.