Friday, September 4, 2009

Secret Wall Tattoos

I found out about this when someone posted a link on the Etsy message board. Have you heard about secret wall tattoos, hidden pieces of artwork in hotels, restrooms, and other public places? It's impossible to know how many public spaces have been decorated with artwork ranging from simplistic patterns to ornate modern art since they remain hidden until the picture or mirror covering them is moved. Secret wall tattoos are considered by many artists to be a subversive way of changing the world around them, even though their art might not be seen for a very long time. Of course some view these as vandalism along the lines of graffiti. Next time I'm in a hotel I have to remember to check for a secret work of art.

5 comments:

Chrisy said...

How interesting....I don't expect there'd be that many places available in a little hotel room....maybe under the furniture....behind paintings....

Barbara said...

interesting...

Christine said...

I'm sure many people would concider this graffiti, which is why I wouldn't do it, but I sure would like to! It would be just as fun to find it,like finding secret treasure!

SillyLittleLady said...

I think that's cool, I would love to find artwork like that!

libu said...

I never would have thought to look under a picture!! how exciting...if there was something alreay there I might join in.....