Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Weigh in Wednesday

I'm in love!!! With this chicken broth.

Before you think I'm crazy let me explain why. I love soup!! pretty much any kind. The trouble is, just about every kind of soup is crazy high in sodium. Even so called "low sodium" broths are still quite high.

I was so excited to find a brand of low sodium broth that is actually low in sodium. A serving of this stuff has only 70 mg of sodium and get this, only 15 calories! And the best part.....it tastes good!! The only downside, it's kind of expensive. But I suppose it's worth it for yummy yummy soup. The brand name is Pacific and I found it at Walmart of all places.

One of my favorite homemade soups:
CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
Ingredients:
One onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic chopped
1 red (or yellow) pepper chopped
1 can of corn (or frozen corn) no salt added of course
1 can of diced tomatoes - no salt added of course
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (you can leave this out if you don't want the heat)
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tbs olive oil
1 chicken breast cubed
4 cups chicken stock

In the bottom of a large pot, saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil until they are tender. Add the peppers and saute until they are slightly softened, about one minute. Add the tomatoes, corn, seasonings and stock and bring to a boil. Once it's boiling add the chicken. Cook until the chicken is cooked through

You can top it with shredded cheese, avocado, and of course some crunchy tortilla strips

If you like, you can also add different kinds of veggies to it, like zucchini and squash





Weigh in Wednesday results: -3 pounds -6 total. I'm close to working off all that I gained last week. Only a pound to go. Remind me not to do that again. I'm not too happy with these numbers today. I feel like with as little as I'm eating (usually no more than 1500 calories) that I should be loosing more. We'll see if there are any significant results next week as hubbs and I joined a gym

1 comment:

Then I Got Fat said...

I'm a huge soup lover also. Thanks for sharing your tortilla soup recipe, I'm going to have to try that!

You're actually doing well. 1 lb of fat is equal to 3500 calories. You would really have to starve yourself or work out til you drop to lose more than 2 lbs per week. Anything over 2 lbs I chalk up to water weight. I have been watching my sodium intake so I think my huge loss last week was mostly water weight. But hey, I'll take it!